Swimming

Swimming

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Biking in Puerto Rico – or at least the Northeast corner!



It was time for family vacation again over Christmas, this time to visit family in Puerto Rico. This year I happily obliged as I saw an opportunity to get in some high volume training under the sun, so I decided to bring my bike with me on the trip. Actually, I brought my wife’s bike. Even though the frame is a little bit too small for me, I figured out that the Scott Addict XS should work fine for two weeks. On top of that, my wife had nice Di2 shifters and most importantly disc brakes and sturdier wheels compared to my road bike. This was good to have on the steep and often wet descents from the mountain regions, and the sturdier wheels were great to have on the rough patches of pavement to minimize the risk of punctures. Not to much problems getting the bike on the plane, had to argue a little to not pay extra fee as United has bike “FoC”, but ended up paying one way fee due to the overweight - the bag was stuffed with all training gear on the way back as we needed space for Christmas presents received…


Biking by the beach. Hot...


I did some minimal research ahead of the trip on the web to find suitable routes to bike. Main focus was to get in as much hill/climbs as possible, taking advantage of the central mountain range. I did find some rides logged as well as a Facebook group called “Capo Heart” and “Ruta 187” where I could read and look at some loops, so considering that our home base would be in Carolina the focus was to be the hills around El Yunque and to the west. The approach to this area would be along the coast from Isla Verde through Loiza, and then turning south to access the cordillera. After each day I reviewed the Strava segments I had ridden, and that way I could see routes that other people had taken, giving me some ideas and inputs on new roads. In the end I ended up doing all my rides around El Yunque – not only was the environment very beautiful, but it was also the easiest area to access without having to cross through any of the San Juan metropolitan area with its heavy traffic, traffic lights and winding roads requiring navigation.

Sunrise along the way to Loiza.

With the warm climate and strong sun, plus the fact that I could not spend the whole day on the bike as it was a family trip, an early morning start was needed. This would also have as an add-on benefit of less traffic on the roads, good especially considering that the first 5km would be along the highway past the airport. With sun rise at 7am, a 6am start was the plan - and being jet lagged from the trip from Europe this should not be a big problem at least the first days. In the end I found myself starting later and later though as the motivation for a 5am rise everyday was not there... I made sure to pack down bike lights to cover for the first hour of dawn and as a security measure for traffic from behind. The only concern I really had was to get from the Carolina area to Isla Verde as the only accessible road was the highway past the airport with some 3-4km to ride. It did have a strip of 2m on the side almost all the way (I had 20-30m with no curb at all where I had to ride on the side of the lane), but it was also with very rough asphalt and full of debris. But with traffic fairly intense already at 6am, despite it being Christmas week, I had no choice but to ride on the curb, and thankfully all went well. Heart rate was fairly high this first stretch, but once in Isla Verde I could relax a little and get going.



The bridge over to Loiza with El Yunque mountains in the background

First ride planned was along Ruta 186, a road that stretched along the west flank of El Yunque. I got out at 6am, navigated the highway stretch in the dark and then started the coastal run along Isla Verde through Loiza to Rio Grande. This morning there was no wind, and with clear skies the sunrise was pure magic. I had borrowed a GoPro camera, and I was constantly taking pictures the first half of the ride. From home to Rio Grande and Ruta 3 was a stretch of 36km flat roads with the road to Loiza hugging the coast and most of the first 15km along the Pinones beach. The road surface was a mix of patched/rough and smooth asphalt, and this was to be the theme for all rides: never to be able to relax or drift off, but always keep an eye on the road for cracks, pot holes or just patches of rough asphalt. It was especially tiresome at the end of the rides when after a few hours on the saddle and the heat increasing, fatigue started to creep on to you and all the bumps and vibrations really got you tired – frustration was high at the end of a few of the rides. But with fresh air (24C) in the morning with the sunrise in the face, the sound of waves and early morning birds chirping, it was pure pleasure to enjoy the tropical humidity at the beginning of the ride, and the bumps and vibrations were manageable. I was also pleasantly surprised by the respect shown by the cars coming from behind. In almost all cases the cars patiently waited until there was a clear stretch of road to overtake, and they kept a nice distance as they passed. Never any close passes or honks, people seemed to be relaxed and didn’t mind waiting a minute or two until the road cleared up to give them a clear pass – quiet the contrary to home in Sweden.

Refueling stop. I found that the visor I normaly use didn't work well in the humidity, it tended to fog up on the climb when there was no wind.

After the first stretch of flat roads I headed up on Ruta 186 to get up in the mountains. I was not so sure how this stretch of road was going to be, but the climbing started immediately, and I found myself directly pushing FTP+ efforts on the lowest gear available. The incline was normally around 6-10%, and although the sun was almost always in cover from the trees sheltering from direct exposure, with the 70-80% humidity the sweat started pouring down. As the road dwindled down to a narrow pathway, all overgrown with tropical vegetation, I started to wonder if I had made a wrong turn, but I figured I could always turn back. The constant road distance markers (every 0.2km) informed me I was on the right track, and every major intersection was clearly marked with road numbers so in the end making the navigation was fairly straight forward. I only needed to use Google maps extensively the first day as I was a little nervous on the routing, but the rest of the days I felt more confidence in the road numbers and that they would be clearly marked. The climb up along the side of El Yunque was really something spectacular – lush green vegetation, birds singing, the sound of waterfalls in the distance and the constant climbing on the serpentine roads. After about 4km of climbing it eased up and after a short downhill ride on very bad road surface, the 2nd part of the climb started. In all the total climb was about 10km with 600m height increase until I reach the point where I decided to turn downhill and head back home. Average grade on the ascent portions was 8%, varying from 6-15%.

Up the winding portions of road 187

The down hill portion was also an adventure. Here I got onto more normal roads with overall better surface, but even here there was the occasional pot hole to navigate, so there was no way to relax from the brakes and the control. By now (around 8-9am) morning traffic had started as well, and the local dog chase packs had awakened, every once in a while chasing me barking and making me nervous they would run into the bike and make me crash. When I eventually made it back to the flats, temperature had now risen to 30C, and it was a tough slog home with the added “benefit” to have the wind in the back for some additional heating effect. This was the same theme everyday – the first half of the ride up and down the mountain was OK, and the last hour and a half in the heat became a struggle. The first day I also made the mistake to not fill up with enough fluids, so the 1.2 liters of drink I had with me for the four hour ride was not optimal and I was kind of in panic once I got home. The rest of the days I brought with me another bottle from the start and made sure to fill up during the ride at a gas station. I normally survive on around 1.5 liters for a 3 hour ride at home, but here I drank at least twice as much due to the heat and sweating. I drank mainly Gatorade in order to get in some energy as well and topped up with an energy bar or two and a banana during a short break.




At the top of road 187 

 Road 988, nice smooth asphalt on the way up

Just plainly beautiful

I continued the rest of the rides either on or around El Yunque for the climbs. I was eying some other routes as well, but found the beauty of the tropical rain forest and the low traffic access routes a good combination to stick with. Overall I did five climbing days: the first partially doing Ruta 186, second day on the east side of El Yunque up route 988, third ride up the main El Yunque road 191 after doing 988 again, fourth traversing El Yunque combining 988 – 966 – 186 and then the last climb ride doing the complete Ruta 186. Route 988 and 186 where pure magic as they were basically completely desolated with just one or two cars along the one/two hour climbs, while the complete 191 climb was the longest one albeit with all the tourist cars sharing the route as well.


Typical height profile of a climing day - dead flat along the coast and then a steep climb (6-15%) up the mountain side.



Traverse of El Yunque (153km total)



Apart from the climbs I used the coastal flats around Loiza for intervals. There where a few stretches with nice flat asphalt suitable for harder riding to push up the speed and effort, split into nice 5km stretches: the 5km stretch west of Playa Vacia Telaga, the 5km between Loiza and Canovanas - both on road 951 and 188, and then the 10km stretch from Loiza to Rio Grande along 187.

Road 187 - the start and end of it all

In total I did seven rides ranging from 80km to 153km distance with average speed of around 25km/hr (30km/hr on the flats, 10 km/hr on the climbs), total distance covered 720km. With more time available you can off course squeeze in longer rides, but I personally felt that riding after noon was too hot, limiting the time available. I started between 6am and 9am, and apart from the longest ride I was normally back home between 10 and 11am before the heat became too unbearable. Two days I got rain during the ride, but apart from getting very dirty it was actually pleasant to get wet and cool off. It was noticeable how the heart rate came down when it was slightly cooler on overcast/rainy days and as I got accustomed to the heat. It was also good to start the ride heading east as you then had the trade wind in your face on the way out and a nice tail wind the last hour or so back home. I did see other bikers every day, but they were fairly few and most of them seemed to go fairly slow. You can find organized group rides, and there the groups are always accompanied by a tail car (or two) for security and they make regular stops for drinks and rests. I got the impression that pace and effort here is fairly light, but since I didn’t join any of them it is just based on my overall feeling.

Time to pack up the bike again and go home

Overall extremely happy with my rides. The highlights was riding in the tropical forest with its sounds and smells, the early mornings with its sunrise and magic light and the pleasure of sweating profusely climbing the mountain. Low lights would be the sometimes rough roads with treacherous pot holes, the riding along the highways with its traffic, packs of chasing dogs giving me the scare and the stretch of road where I had to pass through overflowing sewers. Will I take my bike again next time I go to Puerto Rico? You bet!


No comments:

Post a Comment